When Shibe Park was renamed Connie Mack Stadium in the Tall Tactician's honor, THIS was the very sign that was debuted with great fanfare below the "Shibe Park" facade. (As seen in a 1953 image with celebratory flag bunting festooned all around.) Countless Phillies fans of all ages gazed on the metal behemoth as they passed through the hallowed entrance at 21st Street and Lehigh Avenue to watch Ashburn, Roberts, Ennis, Hamner, Burgess, Seminick, Allen, Bunning and Callison in action. Spanning 6 feet long by 2-1/2 feet high and weighing in at a hefty 45 pounds, the sign features riveted silver letters on the black backing with 10 border holes for hanging. Typical general wear commensurate with many years of stadium usage.
We previously sold this relic in 2020 for a record $45,000 as part of the Larry Shane Collection after the beloved collector's passing. At that time, it was accompanied by a photocopied 1980s Philadelphia Daily News article mentioning Larry's purchase of the sign (and his display of it at the Delaware Valley Sport Collectors Show), along with a handful of photos documenting the sign's usage over the years and up through the stadium's demolition. Those accoutrements are shown here for reference but are no longer included.
A historically important, museum-worthy piece of Philadelphia sports history!
Note: Due to size/weight, a shipping surcharge may apply.